how to get a cbd license

The application period for 2022 will close on April 30, 2022.

The MDA is required to collect annual fees for registration of sites and certification of hemp crops through THC testing. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable. There is a $50 fee for all license changes made after the initial application period. Such changes include changing the license holder’s name, adding a grower or processor category, and adding or changing grow or processing locations. All changes must be made by submitting a Change Request Form.

The application period for the 2022 Minnesota Hemp Program license is now open.

2022 Minnesota Hemp Program Application
Please click on the Hemp Licensing option from the drop-down menu.

If you are a current license holder and need to add or change locations, submit a Change Request Form. If you need to request an inspection/THC test, please contact the MDA Hemp Program.

2022 FEES

First-time applicants need to submit fingerprints and pass a criminal background check. The MDA program staff will send all first-time applicants a blank fingerprint card and instructions on how to request the background check after the application is completed. Any applicant with a controlled substance-related felony conviction in the previous 10-year period will not be eligible for licensure.

TDA does not require any testing to the soil before obtaining a license. The person purchasing your hemp may require soil tests for pesticide residues or heavy metals. Nutrient soil tests are can be sent to UT extension for testing while heavy metals and pesticide tests require a private lab. You can use the internet to find a lab for those tests or ask a processor.

* If you are growing seedlings or clones for sale, you will need a Plant Certification Greenhouse license.

Do I need a movement permit?

You can apply for a hemp producer’s license at any time. The application can be found here. A complete application and license fee are required before a license can be issued.

No, TDA does not issue licenses for the sale of processed hemp products. TDA regulates rooted hemp or growing hemp.

Can I send off samples to get tested on my own?

You must have a movement permit before transporting rooted hemp plants and/or transporting harvested hemp to a processor for commercial purposes. It takes only a few minutes to apply for a movement permit online. Although it’s not required in all instances, we strongly encourage you to have a permit before moving any plants or plant material.